Thursday, March 5, 2009

NAIROBI- A CITY OF CONTRASTS

Having really lived in Nairobi for six months, I never thought I'd wake up one day and realize that there has been no day that has passed since I have come to live here that I have not seen something new, something different, something I've never seen before. And yet, It's true. The first day I saw a carpet of purple outside my window, where the jacaranda tree had shed these beautiful little gems of nature.

The day after that, I saw my reflection in a high-rise building, with the big city behind me. It was strange, it was different. I looked at myself and felt that I didn't really know this person staring back at me. And then I let go and continued running towards my destination. For this is what people in a busy city like Nairobi do. No one simply takes time to be themselves.

And then I saw horses in the park. I've never seen such glorious horses, with velvety noses and gentle eyes. And then I saw the military men on their backs. First illusion shattered.

And then I saw two cats balancing themselves on a wall, one black, one gray. Where was the white? I do not know.

And then I saw an old man selling sweets in the park. Was he the real thing? Was he one of those quintessential characters that a city like Nairobi needs to survive? Or was he simply one of the faceless ones, seen once, never to be seen again? I don't know.

And then I saw a woman who looked like my mother. Not exactly, but quite a lot like her. I smiled. She smiled back. Hmmm.

And then I sat on a swing in the park with a friend, and felt myself fly to the sky. And then I saw her fall.

And then I saw a bird with the purest of blue feathers knock on my window. It looked like he wanted to be invited in. Unfortunately, he flew off before I could.

And as I crossed the highway, I saw posh cars fly on the road, with the elite sitting inside, wearing silk ties and reading their morning papers.

And then I saw a homeless family of seven children, all with bottles of glue stuck to their noses, horribly distending the nostrils.

And that was where it struck me. I saw something new in Nairobi every day.

4 comments:

R!@ said...

i like :)

Rehana said...

lol.... Thanks... :)

Anonymous said...

Have you read Maximum City by Suketu Mehta??

Ur post is like a foreign version of it.. :) really good.. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm 4m VIT too. RVN..
and thanks.. :)